Sunday, February 22, 2009

Color my ( Wedding ) World


Last night I went out in search of the new Polymer Clay Cafe magazine which I had heard was out and was featuring an article by one of my guild mates, Linda Riopel of NKDesigns who does fabulous millefiore cane work and transfer art. But alas could not find it in three stores, they all had the same last issue ( which I was surprised as it is usually sold out by now). So I busied myself looking through some other mags, and happened to glance at a Martha Stewart Wedding issue. Now anyone who knows me personally knows I have been called Martha numerous times, In a complimentary way because of my decorating skill and artistic flair for interesting dinner parties and pretty good cuisine ( I have been asked numerous times to open my own restaurant through the years), however I am not a great big fan of hers but she does have some styling ideas, as long as I can read about them and not watch them. ;)

But anyway, I saw this magazine cover with a white wedding cake filled with colorful, like a rainbow of butterflies streaming down in a curvaceous streamer that looks quite amazing. A glance through showed lots of color, in the bridesmaids gowns to mixed colors in the bouquets as well as color on the bride. ( I went to her site and couldn't find the issue but did find these cakes which you may want to browse through, I especially like #29,the Magical Marzipan Forest. :)

Which brought to mind someone I know whose cake toppers are bright, colorful and whimsical but also natural and sophisticated at the same time. And that artist is Mary Ellen Nichols of beetreebyme.com and beetreeand me.etsy.com. I can just imagine this cake topper sitting on one of those colorful cakes and making a lasting impression. The Dalia cake perhaps ( #11) or maybe the Calico Cake ( #4) or even my favorite the Magical Marzipan Forest ( #29) ----(See the cake link above to know what I am referring to.)

So ladies planning your wedding, and looking to go beyond traditional, being more colorful, more individualistic, how about a custom made cake topper to carry out that theme? These can be personalized and be a treasured keepsake forever. They are not made of sugar that you have to worry about deteriorating or humidity causing problems and she does way more than cute little foxes. Check out her store and her website. She loves customs orders and a challenge, you can even have your integrated family members depicted :) Like this one shown here. She could be holding a flower colored to match your bouquet! And isn't he spiffy in his black bow tie?

I've watched this lady create and I don't think anything is beyond her reach, she is a great sculptress and having one of her works of art top the cake of your special day would be an honor and make it very memorable.


And don't forget the grooms cake too, I'm sure she could come up with something very apropos and ingenious to make that a hit too!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Carmen, happy to have you here! Thanks for the kind words. :) Kate

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails